Esher Rugby needs a 4th Official on Match Days
The 4th Official at a 1st XV match is a key role, acting as a record-taker for both the RFU refereeing team and the two team captains. It is an official post and requires someone who can commit to most, preferably all, home matches. You will become a valued member of the Match-Day Volunteer Team.
Your responsibilities are set out in the NCA Regulations:
Each home Club must provide a nominated 4th official whose responsibilities are as follows:
- Meeting with the appointed Match Officials before the game to be made aware of any particular requirements which they may have;
- Ensuring that both teams have adequate supplies of substitution cards and establishing who from each Club will be notifying him of replacements;
- Being readily available at the pitch side to the Match Officials and both Clubs' officials;
- Managing all substitutions. In particular, ensuring that a team does not replace more than two players at a time and does not exceed 10 interchanges;
- Logging full details of all match events including scores and scorers, substitutions, red and yellow cards issued and kicking records;
- Ensuring in conjunction with the Referee and an official of the visiting team that the match result sheet is completed and signed off correctly. This should be done within one hour of the end of the game;
- Monitoring the time penalty for any player sent to the sin-bin, ensuring that suspended player remains in the technical area until the time penalty is complete and notifying the Referee via the near side assistant referee when the player can rejoin the game;
- Ensuring that replacements warm up at the correct ends of the pitch;
- Maintaining good order in the technical area. Any issues should be reported to the referee; and
- Assisting the Match Officials as requested and appropriate
Post-match your responsibility is to ensure the approval of the match card by the Referee and the two Team Managers before submitting it online to the RFU and the NCA in conjunction with the Team Managers.
Appropriate training will be given, and mentoring is available from those who have carried out this role. If you are interested, please contact Club Secretary Nigel Scott on 07973 743924